Teaching the Basics and Beyond
We are experts in enabling beginners to play, whether for experiential or educational outcomes. We also provide routes for development, eg: one-to-one tuition, progressive workshops, signposting according to individual requirements.
A trained facilitator brings instruments to your group, for everyone to play together and experience the beautiful sound and vibrations of real plucked strings.
- – wellbeing – personal growth, contributing to the group sound
- – communication – listening, turn-taking
- – cognitive – memory and using the brain differently
- – dexterity – whatever the mobility of the participant: just one finger can be all that is required to play
- – confidence – a sense of belonging and achievement
Anne, support worker, Rose Cottage
- Beginners: Strings from Scratch
Starting with an instrument, we get you playing straight away in the group, creating unique pieces together. As sessions progress, we move on to bowing, finger placement, good posture, tone work and overall musicianship skills. Our gentle & effective system supports your individual learning journey as well as helping you play together within a group of musicians. Many of our Strings from Scratch beginners have progressed to one-to-one tuition with our wider team, as well as progressing to Strings Unbarred.
- More experienced players: Strings Unbarred
By playing in a group, you’ll support and learn from each other, as well as having the opportunity to learn pieces by ear, improvise and compose together, to develop strong musicianship and try out new ideas. In Strings Unbarred we use innovative techniques to get you playing together beyond music reading.