Open Strings Music works in accordance with Sound Sense’s Code of Practice for Community Musicians
There’s a primal, childlike joy and pleasure in playing an instrument for the first time. It’s magical to see someone experience this, whatever age you are.
– C, volunteer
About Open Strings Music
Open Strings Music is a CIC (Community Interest Company, company number 8988791) which provides participatory music opportunities for people of all abilities and backgrounds to connect and create through making music together.
Our vision is to offer every adult a way to create and engage through playing music.
The values that drive our vision are:
• Empowerment: we create the conditions for people to create and develop creative skills
• Wellbeing: our projects and services are designed to improve people’s quality of life
• Collaboration: we actively seek and develop work with a wide range of individuals and organisations
• Social equality, inclusivity, and justice: we offer music-making to people of all backgrounds, abilities, and requirements
We believe that everyone can express themselves and communicate with others using sound.
Through our work we offer people opportunities to explore this, whether through voice, instruments, other sound sources and related creative expression such as movement or mark-making to music.
We believe that sound- and music– making is a powerful tool for social connectivity.
Through creating music together in the moment, people’s sense of wellbeing and shared empathy increases significantly.
Open Strings Music’s mission is to promote health & wellbeing, social inclusion and equality, by enabling the transformative experience of making music together.
To enable people to access musical group activities: workshops, projects and events
• To promote health and wellbeing by embedding activities which support dexterity, mobility and cognitive skills
• To help participants develop their confidence, self-expression, and musical vocabulary
• To provide high-quality opportunities for groups of people to play instruments, make sounds, and sing together